Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Giving Gluten Free Bisquick a Scrumptious Test Drive

More and more gluten-free products are appearing on the "mainstream" product shelves of local supermarkets and I know many of my fellow gluten-free bloggers were eagerly anticipating the arrival of a gluten-free version of Bisquick. I myself never had much experience with this all-purpose baking mix, but I am always game to try a new GF product out.

The gluten-free Bisquick was available at the Wilton Price Chopper for $4.49 for a 1 lb. box. I was pleased to see a list of all-natural ingredients and that it includes xanthan gum for a better texture for baked goods, which is pretty pricey ($11/lb. at the health food store). I like to make my own baking mix for biscuits and rolls (out of tapioca flour, white rice flour, potato flour, xanthan gum and baking powder) since Dan makes them so often for breakfast, but having an option with a box of GF Bisquick in the pantry for other kinds of baked goods would be great when I am out of one of these ingredients.

I had a recipe already picked out for my GF Bisquick test drive. I had taken in a fun cookbook at our used bookstore a while back with the zingy title of "Ring the Doorbell With Your Elbow: A Cookbook of Portables", by Wilma M. McCartney (Shelburne, VT: The New England Press, 1981) and a recipe for Onion Shortcake popped out at me. I gave it the old Crispy Cook makeover to ensure that it was gluten-free and kicked up the ingredient count and it proved to be a real keeper. It was hearty enough to be a great vegetarian main course and McCartney recommends it as an accompaniment to a steak dinner.

Here's what I did:

ONION AND MUSHROOM SHORTCAKE


2 Tbsp. butter
2 large onions, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced thin

1 cup Gluten Free Bisquick
1/4 cup shortening
1/3 cup milk
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. ground thyme

2 cups sour cream
1 large egg
Smoked paprika

Lightly grease 8 x 8 baking pan and set aside.

Heat frying pan and melt butter. Add onions and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes, until both are soft and golden brown.

Put Bisquick in medium mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until well blended. Add one beaten egg, thyme, and milk and mix well. Press dough into prepared baking pan and smooth over with wet spatula.



Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Layer sauteed mushrooms and onions over biscuit dough in pan.



Beat second egg and sour cream together and spread this mixture over the mushroom-onion layer. Sprinkle with smoked paprika.



Bake 15-20 minutes or until biscuit layer is browned at edges and fully cooked. It will be springy when done.

Serve hot. Makes 4 main dish servings or 6-8 side dish servings.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I found the Gluten Free Bisquick at the South Glens Falls Hannaford for $3.89 for the 16 oz. box. This time I noted the price of the regular Bisquick shelved right next to it. The regular Bisquick is in a 20 oz. box and costs $2.29, so that is something to consider when shopping for this baking mix.

Carrie said...

YUM!!! I never thought of making a casserole like that with just veggie filings... and it looks SO good! Thank you OODLES for linking up to my breakfast/brunch roundup today!! I so appreciate Gal! Happy HOlidays!!