Tuesday, June 26, 2007

I Must Have Me Spinach


As Popeye always said "I must have me spinach" and our garden featured three long rows of the mighty greens this Spring. Unfortunately, spinach cooks down so much that we only had three healthy pots of the following recipe, but we are fortified with so many vitamins now that we can handle whatever tasks come our way.

Japanese-Style Spinach

1 armload spinach (or two bags of fresh spinach)
Sesame oil
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
Toasted sesame seeds
Soy sauce

Wash spinach. If using fresh-picked spinach, it's best to soak it in several changes of water to remove all dirt and bugs.

Bring a big pot with 2 inches of salted water on bottom to a vigorous boil. Add spinach and cook until tender. Drain and squeeze out as much water as you can. Chop spinach.

Dress with sesame oil and soy sauce to taste. Mix in brown sugar and top with sesame seeds.

A lovely mix of salty, sweet and nutty flavors.

2 comments:

Dianne said...

This sounds pretty yummy to me, but I love japanese food!

:)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE sesame oil! I'll have to try it on spinach.