Monday, April 6, 2009

Wrapping up a Culinary Tour Around the World with Sweet Potato Pudding

The fun and informative Culinary Tour Around the World started by Joan at Foodalogue concludes with a tribute to the food of the Southern United States. Joan has been a wonderful guide and explorer and I have learned much and had fun in the kitchen exploring the foods of Norway, Poland, Mongolia (I know, I know, my contribution was only Mongolian-esque, not a true dish from Mongolia!), India, France and Ethiopia.

I wish I could have joined the intrepid Joan on more of the stops along the way, but that's what I could research and whip out for each weekly deadline. I stand in awe of Joan in her talents in coming up with beautiful food and photos for each stop on our journey.

For the last stop on this culinary itinerary, we are exploring the Southern United States. The sweet potato is a Southern food staple, loving the region's long, warm growing season. My family does enjoy its orange taters, whether roasted plain or mashed up with butter and brown sugar and roasted again as Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes. We do love our Smoky Sweet Potato Soup and Sweet Potato Fries, but the best-loved Sweet Potato recipe in the Crispy Cook repertoire, is Sweet Potato Pie.

Fiddling with pie pastry, gluten-free or in the halycon Pre-GF days, however, is not my forte, so I decided to just go ahead and make a Sweet Potato Pudding the other day to serve as a side dish. No crust, just filling, and why not? It was yummy and full of Vitamin A, fiber and sweet flavor. And I didn't have to drive myself crazy with trying to pat a slippery Franken-crust together.



Just be sure to protect your delectable dish from roving Chow Hounds while it's cooling!

Here's my easy recipe for:

Sweet Potato Pudding


3 large sweet potatoes

3 Tbsp. softened butter
2 eggs, beaten lightly
1 (5 oz.) can evaporated milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ginger

Prick sweet potatoes with a fork several times and place on baking sheet. Bake in a 400 degree F oven until soft, about 45 minutes. Let cool. Peel and mash sweet potatoes.

Grease a 2 quart casserole dish with softened butter.

Mix potatoes with eggs, evaporated milk, brown sugar, salt and spices until smooth. Spoon into prepared casseroled.

Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on top, about 35-40 minutes.

Serves 6.

Joan has a great Foodalogue Family Food Fight to conclude her great Culinary Tour Around the World so be sure to hop over there for some entertainment and some mouthwatering recipes.

11 comments:

FOODalogue said...

Rachel, Thanks for all your kind words and friendship during this journey. Even though I had 2 (yes, 2) pieces of sweet potato pie yesterday, I started to perk up reading the ingredients in your pudding. Yummo.

Arlene Delloro said...

Love those sweet potatoes. I will have to look up your smoky sweet potato soup recipe and put it in my fall folder. The pudding sounded really good.

Joie de vivre said...

Wasn't Joan's tour fun? I'm sorry I missed this stop!

Sophie said...

I loooove sweet potatoes! I'm imagining pumpkin pie flavor in every bite, yum yum...probably better though :).

brii said...

wow! rachel!!!
this looks good..no..this looks yummy!!! :)))
great to see you on tour together!
baciussss

Liz said...

What a cute pup! I love everything sweet potato. I made a sweet potato pie filling recipe recently too: http://thegoodeatah.blogspot.com/2008/11/sweet-potato-pudding.html

I'll have to check out your smoky sweet potato soup! Yum.

Unknown said...

Being a GRIT (girl raised in the south) I loves me some sweet potato souffle, pie, pudding, whatever name it goes by, I love it.

I have been doing it crustless for many years, because I don't especially like the crust. I have also made this with pumpkin, but sweet potato is best.

Ivy said...

I've only cooked sweet potatoes once and this sounds delicious and I would like to try in the future.

Joie de vivre said...

Rachel,
Just got my copy of "Great Casseroles". I just wanted to thank you again. I'm going to have fun reading through it!

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Sweet potatoes are one of my favorites. Well, actually, that's hard to say because I have a lot of favorites.. one being artichokes, which are in season here and quite lovely!

Hope you don't mind but I tagged you and gave you an award here:

http://www.lifeglutenfree.com/mama_baby_gluten_free/2009/04/seven-things-i-love.html

Anonymous said...

It is well known that we love a sweet potato. Great recipe!