Saturday, September 12, 2009

A Mediterranean-Style Chickpea and Fennel Salad



The September theme for No Croutons Required is Mediterranean soups and salads. I had some finocchio (fennel) ready to pick in the Crispy Garden, so I perused my cupboards, cookbooks and some internet sites to come up with an entry for this fun vegetarian event started by Tinned Tomatoes and Lisa's Kitchen.

I liked this recipe that I found on Food & Wine, but lacking and not liking some of the ingredients, I played around with it and came up with an altered version that uses many ingredients commonly used by Mediterranean cooks, including chick peas, olive oil, fennel, and thyme.

The combination of cool, crunchy fennel and celery and mealy cooked chick peas was very tasty and I look forward to bringing this salad to my next warm weather gathering as it can be served chilled or at room temperature and keeps well.



Chickpea and Fennel Salad a la Mediterranee

1 (14 oz.) can cooked chickpeas, drained
3 stalks celery, diced fine
1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and diced fine (save some fennel fronds for garnish)

1 fat garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1/3 cup high quality, extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Handful of thyme, leaves stripped off
Handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped

Gently mix chickpeas, celery and fennel in bowl.

Make a dressing out remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over salad and let marinate at room temperature for an hour before serving.

Garnish with sprig of thyme and snipped fennel leaves.

Serves 6.

Looking forward to the No Croutons Required roundup after September 20th, when you and others get a chance to peruse the entries and vote for your favorite.

9 comments:

Maria Verivaki said...

very mediterranean indeed - i love simple bean salads like this one

ann low said...

This is so simple and healthy too.

Arlene Delloro said...

Sounds like a winner to me. I'm immersed in Crescent and thank you for the potato cookbook. I've bookmarked a few pages to try when it gets a bit cooler.

Joanne said...

This is a great salad and definitely showcases some classic Mediterranean flavors!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Sounds wonderful! I do love fennel in salads.

The Food Hunter said...

Sounds delicious.

Deb in Hawaii said...

It looks and sounds delicious--especially with the fennel. (Love the goat picture too--hopefully it hasn't been up there forever and I am just noticing it now).

Sophie said...

I am such a chickpea fan! Normally, I always imagine them in warm dishes but this sounds so light, cool and delicious! Clever way to use the fennel too! I must give this a go :).

Shaheen said...

I like this combination!