Monday, October 19, 2009

I Heart Pumpkin: A Multiplicity of Gluten-Free Pumpkin Treats

I Heart Pumpkin. What a great bounty from the old pumpkin patch this year. I planted four hills of Rouge Vif d'Etampes, a French heirloom variety this year, and even after giving away pumpkins to various friends, I still have ten pumpkins adorning my kitchen floor (we have had our killing frost so my babies have to come inside).



After last weekend's pumpkin bonanza, where I got 16 cups of pumpkin puree out of a 30 lb. beauty that was almost as big as Cinderella's Coach, I cooked up a big batch of pumpkin treats for my family.

There was a moist and spicy loaf of Pumpkin Bread, which I studded with a cup of golden raisins:



And a couple of Impossible Pumpkin Pies using Susan the Fat-Free Vegan's great recipe. You mix up all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and then pour it into your pie pans. This pie comes out very custardy and makes its own crust on the bottom. No foolin' around with rolling out crumbling gluten-free crusts between waxed paper and then cursing while attempting to transition them into the pie pans.



Then came the roasted pumpkin seeds. They were so ridiculously easy to make, I wonder why I never tried them out. Here's what I did:

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


Rinse and remove pumpkin flesh from seeds. Pat dry.

Toss with corn oil to coat, sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place on lightly oiled cookie sheet and toast in a preheated 300 degree F oven and toast, stirring every 15 minutes, for about an hour.

Voila! A nutty, healthy treat!



This trio of pumpkin delights is being sent over to Life, Gluten Free, who is the current hostess of Go Ahead, Honey, It's Gluten Free, a monthly blog event started by Naomi at Straight into Bed Cakefree and Dried. The theme of this month's round is "Pumpkin Treats" and I look forward to the roundup for other autumnal cooking ideas as nine other pumpkins await me in the Crispy Kitchen. Life, Gluten Free will post the roundup after the end of October, so do join me in stopping by for a tasteful peek at some more pumpkin fun.

9 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

What a cornucopia! Well... pumpkinocopia anyway. The impossible pie tickles my fancy; I've only had coconut impossible pie before.

Jackie @ Lilolu said...

Thank you for this site. I've been wanting to try some gluten-free recipes. This may sound silly but it helps to have pictures of the recipes. So, thanks!

Lauren said...

Everything looks fantastic! Loving anything pumpkin =D.

NKP said...

Delicious uses of your bounty. I love the toasted seeds too - waste not, want not!

Heather @ Life, Gluten Free said...

Thanks for participating, be sure to check my blog to see the round-up. I love pumpkin too :)

gfe--gluten free easily said...

Wow, how wonderful you grew all those pumpkins!! Ten to use for yourself is cool. :-) I've been baking sugar pumpkins for purees. I love using fresh pumpkin. I put my seeds outside ... hoping to keep the squirrels away from my carving pumpkins for a while. No luck though.

Shirley

Jenn said...

That's awesome that you have your own pumpkins! Love all the great treats that you made, esp. that bread looks delicious!

Linda-KitchenTherapy.us said...

Love the heart pumpkin photo. I have roasted pumpkin seeds right out of the squash too. They are a bit to crunchy for me. But I like to buy them hulled, green pepitas, yum.

Unknown said...

This looks so delicious! :)
All the ingredients in it look great-- and good idea to make this with pumpkin seeds!
I've been looking around online for these so I can make cookies myself. :)

Really like your blog

thanks!!