Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bejeweled Beans for my GF Football Fan

Despite my husband's funk as he watches his beloved Giants team falls further behind this football season, there must be a hallowed time for him each week to scream at the television set and revel in his sports lust. And there must be accompanying snacks.

Before the gluten-free lifestyle entered our household, the snack fuel for these weekly testosterone-laden sessions primarily consisted of beer and pizza. Now that barley malt and wheat crusts are verboten for my hubby, I try to make sure we have Redbridge Beer (made from sorghum, reminiscent of Killian's Irish Red Ale) around and some tasty dips and spreads for his tortilla chips and vegetable sticks.

I was planning to make some guacamole for his last viewing session, but my avocado was too far gone, so I rummaged around the cupboards for inspiration and decided to make a spicy bean dip for him. It was a hit with the old man, so I made sure to write down what I slapped together to share with you all.



This beany dip was spicy, easy and pretty, so I call it:

Bejeweled Bean Dip


1 (15.5 oz.) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained (cannelli would work well too)
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. garam masala (substitute curry powder if you want a milder heat)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup snipped chives
1/2 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 Tbsp. mango chutney
Salt and Pepper to taste


Melt butter in frying pan and heat garam masala 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant. Add garlic, chives and red pepper, and cook, stirring, another several minutes, until red pepper is softened.

Add beans, and mash them up a bit, stirring and cooking another several minutes to heat through. Add mango chutney and season with salt and pepper.

Makes 2 cups. Great served warm with tortilla chips.

Go Giants!

4 comments:

ann low said...

Mmmm...yummy! Would like to have this healthy snack for my husband too.

Maria Verivaki said...

this looks delicious
i suppose i could mash the beans for a creamier dip?

Arlene Delloro said...

Looks very tasty and certainly healthy. I love your goat, by the way.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh that looks good! Surely I don't have to watch football to eat it?