Monday, May 7, 2007

The Spring Garden


Despite winds that blow dirt in the eyes, it's time to plant the spring garden here in Saratoga County. Last year one of our birch trees came down in a windstorm, so Dan cut it down to stump level and then perched a barrel on top for radishes. Then he enlisted the forces of pyramid power to provide a lattice for our pea crop to grow on. We are planting our radish crop today. I like the French red and white icicle radishes, and the cute Easter Egg round radishes that come in various hues of red, purple and white, but this year, I'm trying some white radishes.

Here's a great radish dip recipe that we enjoy. It doesn't look all that photogenic, sort of like chunky cottage cheese, but it's tasty. Just try and eat it up in a day or two, as the radishes leach out water over successive days.

Radish Dip

1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softeened
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 bunch radishes, minced (red and pink radishes look loveliest)
1 clove garlic, minced or run through a garlic press
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
Salt and pepper to taste
Few Tbsp. milk as needed

I smash everything up in my food processor but you can also just finely mince and blend everything together. Let set for at least an hour before serving to mingle flavors.

Serve with gluten-free crackers, celery or carrot sticks, red pepper strips, etc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Radishes are my mother's favorite. I will have to make her this the next time she visits!

Rachel said...

Hi Natalie:

If she's a big radish fan, she'll love it. My mother-in-law used to be a big fan of radish sandwiches, which is a little too radishy for me, but this dip has just the right amount of "nip" for my taste.

Hope you all like it!

-Rachel