Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A Versatile Americanized Curry


Many years ago my friend Barb taught me to make vegetable curry. She was fearless in her studio kitchen, sauteeing spices and chopping whatever vegetables were on hand to produce fragrant and quick vegetarian meals. She had learned some curry tricks from her erstwhile boyfriend and long after his sorry carcass had exited the door she at least had some good culinary skills. I made this curry with vegetables on hand, but it is versatile enough to include frozen or fresh peas, red peppers, green beans, sweet potatoes, leftover rice, cauliflower and other vegetable oddments. My kids don't especially like it, but they will in time, I'm sure.

Vegetable Curry a la Barb

3-4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 Tbsp. safflower or corn oil
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 (15.5 oz.) can chick peas, drained
curry powder to taste (someday I will make my own the proper way, but for now...)
4-5 small red potatoes, quartered and parboiled (or 2 large potatoes)
1 cup water
Handful of raisins
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in frying pan. Saute garlic 1-2 minutes. Add onions and ginger and cook until golden. Add curry powder and stir 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, chick peas, raisins, potatoes and water. Bring to boil and then lower heat and simmer, covered, 20-30 minutes, or until vegetables are soft.

Serves 4-6.

Serve over hot cooked rice with mango chutney and plain yogurt.

1 comment:

Mrs. G.F. said...

This looks great. Really yummy, you have given me my meal tonight.

Thanks! :)