Monday, July 14, 2008

Black Raspberry Parfait


We have a spot in our backyard where we dump the grass from our mower and let it rot awhile before using it as mulch in our gardens. All along this grassy bower are wild raspberry bushes which the birds usually get to before I remember they are ripening. This year, however, I was out weeding in the vegetable garden and saw some bright red bird scat on one of my tomato leaves. An ornithological message! I hied it over to the raspberries as quickly as I could.

Half an hour later I had 2 cups of velvety dark purple berries and a collection of scratches all over my arms, but no matter, it was time to reward my family with a great seasonal dessert. It's simple and luscious and you could make it with other types of seasonal berries and cut-up fruit.

Black Raspberry Parfait

2 cups black raspberries
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Tbsp. sugar

Whip cream with vanilla and sugar until soft peaks form. Layer some berries in each of four wine or parfait glasses and then add some whipped cream and repeat once more. Chill 1-2 hours before serving.

Serves 4.

I am submitting this recipe to the Grow Your Own event hosted by Andrea's Recipes, which features home grown or foraged edibles. With gardens bursting with produce in the Northern Hemisphere, there should be a cornucopia of entries at the roundup.

1 comment:

Andrea Meyers (Grow Your Own) said...

Oh that looks so good! We planted raspberry bushes this year, but they rotted in the ground with all the spring rain. Oh well, we'll try again next year. Thanks for sharing your delicious parfait with Grow Your Own!