Sunday, July 27, 2008

Gluten-Free Blueberry Pizza


It's blueberry season in upstate New York so I am programmed to buy an obligatory couple of pints to play with in the kitchen. In my pre-caffeinated state this morning I was attempting to find my gluten-free blueberry pancake recipe (is it one of the dog-eared pages in one of a hundred or so cookbooks? Or in my piles of bespattered papers that are going to be typed neatly and organized into plastic-sheeted notebook SOMEDAY?). Too daunting.

On the way I pulled out Carol Fenster's "Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus" (Littleton, CO: Savory Palate, 199) and was diverted by a recipe for Peach Clafouti (rhymes with Doug Flutie), which I thought could be easily converted into a bluer concoction. After sucking down some more java, I was able to adapt Ms. Fenster's peachy recipe into this delightful breakfast blueberry pizza, which was eaten by four hungry humans in less than eight minutes.

Blueberry Pizza

2 Tbsp. shortening

3 Tbsp. white rice flour
1 Tbsp. potato starch (don't confuse this with potato flour, which is a different animal)
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. corn oil

1 pint blueberries, rinsed and free of stems

Powdered sugar

Grease an ovenproof skillet with shortening. I used my trusty 10 inch cast iron frying pan, which made this blueberry pizza wonderfully CRISPY, but a smaller 8 or 9 inch skillet would be alright, and would just make the pizza a little softer and thicker.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Blend together white rice flour, potato starch, salt, eggs, milk, vanilla, oil and cinnamon in mixing bowl or blender.

Heat skillet over medium heat on stove. Add 1/3 of the pizza batter to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes, or until it looks like a mostly cooked pancake or crepe. Sprinkle blueberries over the top and pour on the rest of the batter.

Place in oven and bake 35-40 minutes or until nicely browned and puffy. Sprinkle with powdered sugar to taste (3-4 Tbsp. should do for the whole pizza).

Cut into 6 wedges (so 4 people have to fight over the extras).

We ate this warm, but I would imagine that it is also nice cold.

4 comments:

Debs said...

Thanks, this is inspiring. I'm interested in making a wheat-free clafoutis this summer, and I'll look at this recipe when I do.

My latest achievement was wheat-free lavender-almond madeleines. They came out so well, I'm inspired again to try more wheat-free baking. Just found your blog and will come back again.

Debs
Food Is Love

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds really great! I love blueberries so much this year and I love the way you think outside the box!

Carrie said...

JUST when I was wondering what to do with that pint of blueberries I had sitting in the fridge!! Mmmmmm!!!

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

Ooooh - this looks YUMMY! I love eating what is "in season". I can't wait to try this recipe out :)