Thursday, August 14, 2008

Gansevoort Farmers Market Offerings


The Gansevoort, New York Farmers Market is in full gear now and meets on Thursdays from 3 pm to 6 pm at the Village Green (corner of State Route 32 and Wilton-Gansevoort Road). If you live in the area you should definitely come over to check out the fresh vegetables, fruits, baked goods, honey and even locally-made wine.

I made a beeline for the table manned by Jeanne of Saratoga Gluten-Free Goods and scored a half-loaf of delicious looking whole wheat bread and some of the chewy rolls Dan has been enjoying with our finally-ripened garden tomatoes. I even met up with the
same pregnant lady I scuffled with over a baguette at my last market outing. Back then, I let her have it. The baguette, I mean. But this week the lone baguette was mine, all mine.

Next stop was to sample the fermented fruit and grape delights of
Colebrook Country Wines. The owner had samples of a nice crisp Pinot Grigio and fragrant and slightly sweet Red Raspberry Wine so I picked up a bottle of each. She indicated that in between nine farmers' markets a week she is happy to offer tours and tastings at her winery.

The gorgeous vegetables and fruits at the Gifford Family farmstand was next. There were baskets of perfect frying peppers, pears, potatoes, corn, tomatoes, squashes, and several kinds of string beans and some hot cherry peppers I just couldn't resist.

The Farmers Market will run each Thursday through the month of October, so be sure to stop by to sample some great food and support a local farmer, vintner or baker. I promise it will be a delicious outing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how did u find whole wheat gluten free bread? wheat has gluten in it so if it wheat it IS gluten.

Rachel said...

Velvet: Thanks for pointing that out. I meant "Whole Grain", not "Whole Wheat".

-Rachel