Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Go Ahead Honey - Seasonal Veggies Version


I am delighted to be hosting the latest round of the "Go Ahead, Honey - It's Gluten-Free" blog event started way back in the wintry depths of February by Naomi of Straight into Bed Cake-Free and Dried. GAHIGF has explored tea-time treats, one-pot meals, children's birthday party baking, breakfast and finger foods. The last event was hosted by Cheryl at Gluten-Free Goodness and focused on raw and uncooked recipes. Delicious!

The theme of this this month's event is Seasonal Vegetables. In the Northern Hemisphere, gardens are at their peak and pumping out produce at bountiful rates, but I'd also love to see what seasonal veggies folks are cooking with in the southern parts of the globe. Perhaps you have a favorite standard recipe for your favorite August vegetable or have experimented with a new recipe to share. As long as it's gluten-free, Go Ahead Honey, and submit your post by Sunday, September 7th, midnight, Eastern Standard Time, and I will put together a vegtastic roundup soon after.

To participate in the fun send me an email at info [at] oldsaratogabooks [dot] com with the URL of your blog post, an attached photo, your name and recipe name. If you don't have a blog, send me an email and I'll be happy to guest-host your entry.

Gotta plunge back into that garden and dive up with some more vegetable matter. Here's a photo of yesterday's harvest: basil and thyme to pop into the dehydrator for the winter, some rabbit-gnawed peppers to roast up with some tomatoes and onions and the first few yard-long string beans that I'm growing for the first time. Perhaps I will post a recipe about these floppy beans for my GAHIGF entry!

5 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'm looking forward to participating! :)

Gluten free Kay said...

I tried you pickled bean recipe last night. These are very tasty beans! I think they would spark up potato salad nicely.

I might add some carrot slices to my next batch, for color, vitamins and texture. Maybe some sweet pepper . . .

I used tarragon in place of the summer savory. I (also) forgot the bay leaves.

Anonymous said...

I just couldn't wait. Here's my entry! Basically, I had too many tomatoes in my garden and I had to use them up. :)

http://glutenfreesoxfan.wordpress.com/2008/08/08/home-made-tomato-sauce/

Karen

anudivya said...

Hey Rachel, just came up on this event. So I was wondering if rice would be considered as gluten-free. I just read that it was, but I just wanted to confirm.

Rachel said...

Rice is gluten-free,(and a staple in our house) and now I am excited to see what tasty treat you might cook up for this event!