Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Savory Rice and Cheese Muffins

Most mornings, the Crispy cantina is kind of slow. I need two mugs of coffee before I am able to think clearly so the kids are used to grabbing a yogurt or some cereal for breakfast before school. If they want something more substantial, it is my Dear One, Dan, who cracks any eggs or goes near electrical appliances to whip up lumberjack breakfasts.

On weekends, however, I am more likely to be creeping about the kitchen in a post-caffeinated state and the other morning, when our daily snowfall started, I decided to whip up a batch of hot muffins. I had some leftover rice, some cheese and some of Carol Fenster's Bean Blend left from my holiday cooking baking projects to use up, so I came up with these lovely muffins:

Savory Rice and Cheese Muffins


2 cup bean flour mix (if you are not cooking gluten-free, use regular wheat flour and leave out the xanthan gum below)

2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1-1/4 tsp. xanthan gum

1 cup leftover cooked rice
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup grated cheese (I used Asiago)
2 tsp. cider vinegar
1 tsp. onion powder
5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 egg, beaten lightly


Grease 12 cup muffin pan.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C)

Mix together dry ingredients.

In separate bowl, mix together milk, cider vinegar, oil and eggs. Mix into dry ingredients until everything is just blended. Add rice and cheese.

Pour into muffin cups. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Delicious served hot with butter.

Store leftover muffins in an airtight container when cooled.

Makes 12 savory muffins.



I am sending a virtual batch of these delicious muffins off to Joelen's Culinary Adventures, where this month's Tasty Tools event features measuring cups and spoons, which were put to good use in this recipe. You can join in the fun by submitting a measuring tools recipe by the January 31st roundup over at Joelen's blog, where she is always cooking up a storm.

6 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great recipe! I wouldn't have thought to use rice in muffins! Thank you for submitting this to January's Tasty Tools event. stay tuned for the round up where your recipe and blog will be featured! :)

Amy said...

Mmmm these sound great! I've not made a savoury muffin before, you have me thinking I must though!

NĂºria said...

Savory muffins? Wow, how strange that looks to me! But they must be amazing!!! Eventhough, I'm not a cheese lover these must have been such a great batch! I should try them!

FOODalogue said...

That's an interesting combination of ingredients and I'm guessing a tasty one.

Ivy said...

Lovely way to use up left over rice. As much as I can cook tons of food for lunch, I hate to cook in the evening but I never cook anything for breakfast. The best I can do in the morning is toasted bread!!

Dharm said...

This sounds like some very tasty muffins. Who would ever have thought of using rice in muffins...