Saturday, January 31, 2009

Turning Cabbage into Cole Slaw, Memphis-Style

When it is winter in upstate New York, local fresh produce is in short supply, but one thing you can always count on is the trusty Cabbage. They are good keepers and you can eat them raw or cooked, but please don't overcook them because their delicate texture and flavor will be wrecked. So many people hold their noses about eating cabbage because of bad experiences with slimy, swampy-smelling cabbage that results from overcooking.

I was excited when I saw that my blogger buddy Simona of Briciole was hosting the latest round of Fresh Produce of the Month featuring my favorite cruciferous vegetable (actually I love all those cabbagey types: brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, bok choy, tatsoi, mustard greens, etc.)

I am just squeaking in on the last day for this Brassica blog event, so you'll have to wait until the next featured fruit or vegetable is announced to participate, but look for Simona's cabbage-filled roundup after today's deadline.

I was inspired to make a different kind of cole slaw for my cabbage entry. I usually like to make my Grandma's cole slaw recipe (shredded cabbage, carrots, and onion in a mayonnaise dressing) or an Asian-style slaw (rice vinegar dressing) but I thought I would give a Southern-style mustardy Memphis cole slaw recipe a whirl after examining this recipe. I grated my own cabbage and carrots, but otherwise followed this recipe, which calls for salting the veggies to release some liquid and then adding a spicy boiled dressing. It proved to be a hit with my Crispy gang, and I was unable to snatch it away for a sexy foodie photo before most was consumed, hence this rather forlorn shot below.



Be sure to tune into Briciole in the next week to catch the full Cabbage Catalogue, or as Simona translates into Italian: Verdura Fresca del Mese: cavolo.

4 comments:

Ivy said...

I have never made cole slaw before but I have to try this. I am looking forward to the next vegetable of the month.

Kannada Cuisine said...

Ho Rachel,
Thanks a lot for visiting my blog!
I do follow your blog though a bit lazy to be leaving comments!
The coleslaw looks really good

Thistlemoon said...

I love cole slaw Rachel and this looks great! :)

Simona Carini said...

I think it is good when what you make is such a success that photography must take the back seat. Nice recipe! Thanks for participating.