Sunday, August 5, 2007

South-of-the-Border Zucchini Pancakes












I treated myself to a new book purchase (rare for this used bookseller, I assure you) of Donna Klein's "The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen"NY: Penguin, 2007), and am delighted. There are so many exotic and delicious-sounding recipes which will take me years to explore fully.

Given the state of our garden and the exploding zucchini patch, Dan and I made a batch of Klein's zucchini pancakes and they are wonderful. We made them on our electric non-stick griddle and topped them with a slice of cheese to melt on during the last few minutes of cooking. Based on this culinary success, we can't wait to try some other recipes from this delightful cookbook.

South-of-the-Border Zucchini Pancakes

4 medium zucchini (about 6 oz. each), grated or finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
Salsa, gluten-free shredded cheese, and/or sour cream, for topping, (optional)

In a large bowl, combine the zucchini and half of the salt. Transfer to a colander and let stand for 15 minutes. Press with the back of a large spoon to squeeze out the moisture. Transfer to several layers of paper towels and squeeze to get rid of excess moisture. Return to the bowl and add the eggs, cornmeal, remaining salt, oregano, cumin and pepper, tossing until thoroughly combined.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat. Working with about half the batter, drop the zucchini mixture by the heaping tablespoons into the skillet and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining oil and batter. Serve warm, with the toppings (if using).

Makes 6 servings.

2 comments:

Sea said...

YUM! What is it WITH everyone posting these super yummy looking zucchini recipes??? I love it- but it makes it hard to decide which one to make. Maybe I should have a zucchini pancake week.. lol. Anyways, lovely recipe and thank you for sharing! It's on my list of recipes to try, for sure.

-Sea
www.bookofyum.com

Unknown said...

I've recently bought myself the same cookbook - how exciting that there's finally one that's gluten-free AND vegetarian! Very glad to know the recipes are working well. I'm sure I'll try one soon ... right now, I'm having too much fun with Rebecca Reilly's Gluten-Free Baking. (See my sour-cream coffeecake success, here.)

Thank you for some great entries! Your posts about your trip to NYC helped me find Babycakes, which was excellent. :-)