Wednesday, October 29, 2008

An Elegant Little Chutney Cheese Ball


The Gansevoort Farmer's Market is closing for the season tomorrow, October 30. I stopped by last week and picked up some bread and rolls for the freezer from Saratoga Gluten-Free Goods, and some supplies from my upcoming annual girlfriend's getaway weekend: wine (Colebrook winery) and artisan cheese made by Elizabeth Porter of Argyle, New York.

One of the cheeses, a tangy and creamy white chevre, demanded that we eat it before my escape, so I mixed it with a little chutney, curry powder and salt and gently rolled it in sliced almonds for a fantastic snacklet. It was soooo good I shall have to relay the exact dimensions of this easy recipe:

Chutney Cheese Ball

8 oz. fresh goat cheese or chevre
2 Tbsp. apple chutney
1 Tbsp. curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup sliced almonds (I will toast them next time!)

Mix cheese, chutney and curry powder together. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Gently scoop this mixture into a ball shape and roll in sliced almonds.

Cover with plastic wrap, chill and let flavors mingle at least several hours before serving.

An easy and elegant appetizer that serves about 6.

I am offering this dairy delight to La Fete du Fromage hosted by Chez Loulou, an American transplant in the vineyard soil of southern France. Her photography is just gorgeous and the food and wine posts are just great. Check it out every month on the 15th to learn more about the great cheeses of the world.

8 comments:

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds really tasty - I love goats cheese, and you've turned it into the perfect little snack to have with a glass of wine!

Arlene Delloro said...

I adore goat cheese. There are some wonderful purveyors in Sullivan County. Whenever we go to the festivals at Bethel, we shop their farmers' markets for the cheeses, bread, and the best pesto (next to mine, lol).

Jennifer said...

This looks delicious! Chutney has become a big favorite of mine so I must try this.
Thanks for participating in La FĂȘte du Fromage and have a great weekend with the girls!

Anonymous said...

You are right. i does sound yummy1

NKP said...

I love goats cheese too, definitely a winning combo!

spacedlaw said...

Sounds great! I should try this next time I stumble upon fresh goat cheese.
(In via Loulou's=

Anonymous said...

Sounds fabulous! I'm a huge fan of goat cheese in most all of its forms, and I'm always looking for new things to do with it. Thanks!

Rachel said...

Thanks cheese lovers for all your nice comments. Yes, this serendipitous assortment of flavors rolled up into a cheese ball was awesome. I also bought a great Saratoga Sunflower Cheese from the same cheesemaker and my girlfriends and I enjoyed it with crackers on our getaway weekend so I'll have to blog about that for a future Fete du Fromage celebration. Vive le fromage!