Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rice Noodle Sushi Salad


I have been tweaking my Rice Noodle Salad recipe made with tofu and nori (toasted seaweed sheets used for rolling sushi) and it's so much more flavorful than the version I blogged about previously, that I thought I would share it. My kids have dubbed it "Sushi Salad", even though the rice in this deconstructed sushi is of the noodle variety. It's quickly made with dried rice vermicelli or rice stick (maifun) noodles and it's been a real winner with our family.


Rice Noodle Sushi Salad

10 oz. pkg. rice vermicelli or other thin rice noodles

1/2 lb. firm tofu, pressed and cut into small cubes (1/4 inch squares) ***
4 Tbsp. gluten-free soy sauce
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
6 sheets nori (toasted seaweed sheets for sushi), ripped or snipped into 1/2 inch squares with kitchen shears
2 Tbsp. pickled ginger, chopped
2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seeds (black seeds add a little color)
3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
Wasabi powder to taste (check ingredients to see that wheat flour is not added)

Bring a pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat and add rice vermicelli to soak until softened, about 5 minutes. Don't let vermicelli soften too much, as you want some bite here. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. I cut it up into manageable lengths with my kitchen shears.

Mix remaining ingredients and blend with noodles. Chill at least one hour before serving.

Serves 4-6.

***With the remaining 1/2 lb. pressed tofu, I made a batch of Book of Yum's Southern Fried Tofu, which is another tofu standard in our household. Highly recommended!

Beans and bean products like tofu are the stars of "My Legume Love Affair", a foodie event being hosted by Sra of When My Soup Came Alive, and which was created by Susan, The Well-Seasoned Cook. The superior nutritional and purse-saving qualities of the legume are to be praised indeed, so I encourage you to check out this fun blog event and look for Sra's roundup after October 31st.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super intriguing recipe! I may have to play with it myself. :)

We just had Southern Fried Tofu the other night... love it sooo much.
-Sea

sra said...

Love those golden slabs of tofu! Thanks for the entry!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds very nice! We had some lovely pepper tofu last night - good tofu is so delicious.