Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Gluten-Free Capital District

I was happy to spy this post at All Over Albany about gluten-free eats out and about in New York's Capital District region. The article mentioned K.D.'s Fish Fry and Nunzio's, but I didn't know about Avenue A restaurant, or that Wheatfield's and El Loco Taco make such great accommodations for gluten-free patrons. And I've sung the praises of Saratoga Gluten-Free Goods before, but I was unaware of the Scratch Bakery and Cafe on Madison Avenue in Albany and their gluten-free cupcakes. It's so great to see so many other dining options for our family for our special times out on the town.

Howie of Sherry-Lynn's Gluten-Free Bakery and Cafe stopped in a couple of weeks back and asked that I pass on the information that they are working hard to open up at a new location at 952 Troy-Schenectady Road (Route 7) near the intersection of Mill Road in Latham. This new, much larger location is located in the Peter Harris Plaza just off Exit 6 of the Northway (I-87). The new facility have much larger kitchen and storage space, enabling the rapidly expanding business to offer a larger selection of gluten-free baked goods, including eclairs, doughnuts, soft pretzels and my Holy Grail, cannolis! (Shh, don't tell Dan, it's a surprise I want to put under the Christmas tree!).

The plan is to be open seven days a week as well, so with this more central location I hope to get over to Sherry Lynn's more often to stock up the freezer. If all the local planning and licensing details fall into place, Howie noted that they hoped to open their doors again in early November. Their current location in Brunswick, Rensselaer County, has been closed due to a structural failure, so I am wishing them a speedy reopening.

No comments: