Friday, September 5, 2008

A Crispy Jumble of Rice


There are days when the Crispy Cook is crispier than usual at dinnertime. With two omnivores, one gluten-free pescatarian and one vegan, it is difficult to put something on the table that we all can eat. I looked in the fridge after a steamy day at work tonight and was dubious about my prospects. There was some leftover white rice, a herd of garden tomatoes in the drainboard, a package of wrinkly mushrooms and some grated cheese. Well, I whipped something up and darned if everyone didn't lick their plates. I added the shrimps and some grated cheese at the end so we could scoop out a vegan plateful for my daughter first, but we all enjoyed the following jumble:

Tomato-Mushroom (and Shrimp) Risotto

4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cups leftover cooked rice (white or brown)
4 plum tomatoes, ends cut off and chopped
2 sprigs fresh basil, slivered
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (7 oz.) pkg. mushrooms, sliced thin
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 lb. frozen shrimp, thawed and shelled
Salt and Pepper to taste

Heat oil in pan. Add garlic and stir around for one minute. Add onion, and continue to cook until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add wine and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Lower heat and stir around to let tomatoes soften and release their juices. Cook 5 minutes.

Add mushrooms and stir about. Cook another 5-7 minutes, or until they are soft. Add basil, salt and pepper. Scoop out vegan portion if needed.

Throw in shrimp and cover pan. Cook 7-8 minutes, or until pink and cooked through. Add rice and cook just until it absorbs the delectable pan juices and is heated through.

Serves 4. Delicious with grated cheese on top.

1 comment:

Peggy Lee said...

Hi! I just found your great blog when I googled a recipe for dilly beans. What a gold mine I've found here. Your recipes sound so great- I want to run to my kitchen to whip up a batch of something. Thanks for your inspriration- I'll be back!