Thursday, January 8, 2009

Puppy Chow for Dad: A Chocolatey, Crunchy Gluten-Free Gift


My cute youngest daughter Amy was excited to make her Dad a homemade Christmas present (the best kind!) of Puppy Chow, a snack she had sampled at a friend's house. She made out a grocery list and nagged me to go grocery shopping with her (!?!) last month. We purchased the necessary ingredients and then she hid them under her bed until we had a safe, secret cooking time.

This recipe is extremely easy, made even more so with the use of our microwave oven, so it only took about 20 minutes from start to finish. It certainly takes longer to eat it up! Dan was very happy with his present and I am happy to report that there is none left.

Puppy Chow


1 (12.8 oz.) box Rice Chex (the only Chex cereal that is gluten-free)
2 cups creamy peanut butter
1 (12 oz.) pkg chocolate chips
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Melt chocolate chips in microwave, taking care that they don't burn. Microwaves vary widely in their heating strength and amperage, so try melting them 1 minute at a time.

Empty Rice Chex into big bowl or pot. Stir melted chocolate chips into the cereal to coat it.

Melt peanut butter in microwave, again watching closely to ensure that it doesn't burn. (burnt peanut butter smells unappetizingly like feet). Mix into Chex. Cool 10 minutes.

Mix in confectioner's sugar and toss Puppy Chow to make sure it is evenly coated.

Fills 2 (1 quart) tins.

7 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

I know I'd like this and I'm pretty sure Larry would, too. I'm going to figure out the cost, calorie-wise, and buy some Chex mix this weekend. Thanks, Rachel and Amy.

Amy said...

I think I have to make this. YUM!

Dee said...

Hi Rachel, happy new year! Popped by to find out if there was a cookbook cook off - since I missed December's :(

Rice Chex+Malaysia=non-existent :(

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I love this easy snack!!

Joie de vivre said...

Aw, that is so sweet. I bet your husband just loved it. Thanks so much for accepting my friend request on Foodbuzz. I can't wait to read more of your stuff!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sounds very tasty - and how cute of Amy to make it for her dad!

Gloria Chadwick said...

Amy sounds adorable -- a chef in the making and her puppy chow sounds delicious. :)