Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Marinated Mushrooms


I came across a recipe I had made before, a long time ago for my mom's college graduation feast. We had a nice picnic in her basement apartment and feasted on deviled eggs topped with black caviar, a selection of salads, and some classy French-style marinated mushrooms. I blew the dust off my recipe card and set out to make them again this afternoon. They need to sit for a couple of days to "mature", so but I did sneak a premature sample of pickled fungus and the taste was delicate, yet earthy, and very good.

Here's what I did:

1 pound white mushrooms, wiped free of dirt and quartered
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
1 lemon, cut in half and juiced, rinds reserved
2 cups white wine
1 cup apple cider vinegar
4 scallions, sliced
1 tsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
2 bay leaves
1-1/2 tsp. salt
Handful of parsley, chopped
2/3 cup olive oil

Soak mushrooms in lightly salted water for 10 minutes. Drain. Add to small pot containing remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Then lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender. Discard lemon rinds and bay leaves and then chill at least two days to let flavors marry. To serve, drain marinade and serve with toothpicks for spearing.

Makes 1-1/2 pints.

No comments: